- Weekly Twitter Digest https://t.co/4nwraS4W30 18:31:14, 2015-12-19
- Can't even remember the last time I ate at a Shoney's, but saw the sign on the interstate on the way to Kings… https://t.co/fwSMk61tog 18:34:23, 2015-12-22
- Late lunch after visit to cotton gin and cemetery with mom. (at @IHOP in Shelby, NC) https://t.co/rE2KPZSGIH 16:22:31, 2015-12-23
- Christmas Eve service of course. Seeing lots of friends. (@ Central United Methodist Church) https://t.co/9hfAmpyRPE https://t.co/uZsDe0pzl0 18:58:05, 2015-12-24
- Just completed a 1.29 mi walk – Nice morning https://t.co/YiTJMRgXL7 #Runkeeper 09:38:59, 2015-12-12
- Weekly Twitter Digest https://t.co/phAjVPt5SZ 18:30:37, 2015-12-12
- Intermission at the Orlando Gay Chorus 25th Holiday Concert. Excellent first act. https://t.co/Yh5MV6BaMQ https://t.co/LVau3PBbTb 17:21:15, 2015-12-13
- Picking up some lunch. (@ China Taste in Tampa, FL) https://t.co/MYeHB6JMFj 11:19:26, 2015-12-15
- Beasts of No Nation-A Movie Review https://t.co/l9ZCTYJAfY 17:09:02, 2015-12-15
- Using up a very old gift card. (at @Outback Steakhouse in Tampa, FL) https://t.co/1F1ajTKBFz 19:42:40, 2015-12-18
Follows the journey of a young boy, Agu, who is forced to join a group of soldiers in an unnamed West African country. While Agu fears his commander and many of the men around him, his fledgling childhood has been brutally shattered by the war raging through his country, and he is at first torn between conflicting revulsion and fascination Depicts the mechanics of war and does not shy away from explicit, visceral detail, and paints a complex, difficult picture of Agu as a child soldier.
Director: Cary Joji Fukunaga
Writer: Cary Joji Fukunaga (screenplay), Uzodinma Iweala (based on the novel by)
Stars: Abraham Attah, Emmanuel Affadzi, Ricky Adelayitor, Andrew Adote
Runtime: 137 min; Rated: NOT RATED; Genre: Drama, War; Released: 16 Oct 2015
We heard about this movie being on Netflix after hearing an interview with Cary Fukunaga on NPR’s Fresh Air. We started a little late last evening, and I didn’t expect to finish watching it before going to bed, but I couldn’t stop watching. While based on a novel, it was, from all I’ve read, a realistic portrayal of the life of child soldiers, and it is a sad life.
- Just completed a 1.81 mi walk – Getting back to it. https://t.co/qdIBjZ2b36 #Runkeeper 09:34:51, 2015-12-05
- Weekly Twitter Digest https://t.co/y2q3Eqmoda 18:31:07, 2015-12-05
- Shrimp & Co. Restaurant on #Yelp: This was our first visit, and we were pleased…not blown away…but pleased. As … https://t.co/1x6VPxFrvf 19:40:31, 2015-12-05
- Big Talk About Terrorists https://t.co/JQPR1i0byo https://t.co/a4ZTeEzof6 17:05:37, 2015-12-06
- Tried something new, and it was pretty good. (@ Chicken And Taco Loco in Brandon, FL) https://t.co/D5kVgzQQRn 18:28:13, 2015-12-08
- Chicken and Taco Loco on #Yelp: Tried on a whim. And it is really good food. Service is also pleasant. We will defi… https://t.co/51lC3UTdSg 18:30:18, 2015-12-08
- Spotlight – A Movie Review https://t.co/odZIhdsy4r 15:36:44, 2015-12-10
Starring Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams, Liev Schreiber, Brian d’Arcy James and Stanley Tucci, SPOTLIGHT tells the riveting true story of the Pulitzer Prize-winning Boston Globe investigation that would rock the city and cause a crisis in one of the world’s oldest and most trusted institutions. When the newspaper’s tenacious “Spotlight” team of reporters delves into allegations of abuse in the Catholic Church, their year-long investigation uncovers a decades-long cover-up at the highest levels of Boston’s religious, legal, and government establishment, touching off a wave of revelations around the world. Directed by Academy Award-nominee Tom McCarthy, SPOTLIGHT is a tense investigative dramatic-thriller, tracing the steps to one of the biggest cover-ups in modern times.
Director: Tom McCarthy
Writer: Tom McCarthy (screenplay), Josh Singer (screenplay)
Stars: Mark Ruffalo, Michael Keaton, Rachel McAdams, Liev Schreiber
Runtime: 128 min; Rated: R; Genre: Biography, Drama, History; Released: 31 Dec 2015
Suddenly, everyone’s a warrior in the war against terror. That is of course only the terrorists attacks that 1. Don’t involve white male American terrorists, and/or 2. Aren’t likely to actually happen in the first place. Take inspiration for the protection of the homeland from some Facebook posts from early this morning. Here you’ll see the batshittery we’ve devolved into in this country.
It started with this fairly incoherent post, which I mostly just ignored after assuming the person who wrote it was either high, drunk, or both.
So, I’m sure you can understand that, right off the bat, I’m a little concerned. I’m still trying to figure out what are the “…very wages of defense…” and especially the part about, “…that I as well with just cause and overwhelming belief in Liberty and Justice for All so solemnly swear, amen.” Of course that whole part about “liberty and justice for all” applies, in his mind, to only white, straight, male, Christians who believe exactly as he does.
But it gets better. Out fearless defender of everything righteous and holy that is Uhmerika is out-right inviting the jihadists to come to his house so that he can personally kill them.
But what I enjoy is how they are all big talk until it’s time to put up. Invite them to go sign up, and you can see the vitriol that follows that invitation.
Apparently, this person actually believes the terrorists are going to come riding down main street in Kings Mountain any day now, and he and another friend are prepared to take them out just as the partisans took out the Nazis in WW2…because that’s who defeated Hitler…the partisans.
Naturally, this person and another, go on to explain how their age and current physical condition prevent them from serving or they’d definitely go sign up. Well, physical condition is pretty much something one can change and improve, and there are no age restrictions with some of the contractors I know providing “support services” to the war on terror. But that wouldn’t actually cross their minds.
When you get to the part about “God given ability that seems to kick in and kick ass…” part, you have to start wondering about whether this person should be allowed to own a gun, but I’m pretty sure he owns several, and lots of ammunition…for the imminent and certain attack of the jihadists on Gold Street in Kings Mountain, North Carolina. For those of you not familiar with Kings Mountain, and more specifically Gold Street, there is an important landmark the city built a few years ago right at Gold Street and one of City’s main streets.
Now I love my hometown, and lots of the people who live there were great positive influences in my life. I’m not making fun of my town…it’s a small southern town that was too dependent for too many years on textile manufacturing, and a lot of good folks there are doing the best they can to bring it back. What I am making fun of is the belief that a few people there have that they need to be concerned that a terror attack in Kings Mountain is imminent. It is a town that has welcomed Cambodian and South Vietnamese refugees in the past. Some live just down the street from my mother. I don’t know if there are Muslims living in that community, but if there are, I fear for them, because people like this will eventually go instigate a situation so they can feel all brave and manly and heroic.
I try to muster feelings of sympathy for people who suffer from this kind of mental pathology, but I just can’t anymore. It’s tiresome, and it is embarrassing coming from people in a country that was once able to build the greatest industrial power the world has seen. From a country where each generation used to get smarter and richer than the previous generation. It’s people like this who are cowardly, and need an enemy to hate and blame for their misfortune. And they are people who are too lazy to learn and understand the very real issues we face today, and demand that our leaders deal with them. They’re barricaded in their homes with guns and ammo on their laps just waiting on the terrorists to show up at their door (if Obama doesn’t come by first to take their guns), tuned in to Fox News taking their cues from an Australian media mogul with an agenda all his own.
I also no longer have sympathy because these are the kind of ammosexuals who demand that every single person be permitted to have any type of and as many guns as possible, and who all believe they are responsible, sane gun owners. One doesn’t have to read too far in these posts to think this guy’s neighbors need to be the ones living in fear, not all the jihadists converging on Kings Mountain.
- Drove to Orlando just to eat here tonight. (@ LA. Boiling Seafood Crabs & Crawfish in Orlando, FL) https://t.co/09JFbzQyHJ 20:15:45, 2015-11-28
- Dinner (@ La Septima Cafe in Brandon, FL) https://t.co/xvyOsTEwnu 17:59:35, 2015-12-01
- Dinner. Very good (and cheap) specials. (@ The Spaghetti Warehouse – @spaghettiwh in Tampa, FL) https://t.co/R6c2ROqArl 17:23:41, 2015-12-02
- Having dinner. Took a while to get here. (@ Ph? Quyên Vietnamese Restaurant in Tampa, FL) https://t.co/QTSHMfejT2 17:25:14, 2015-12-03
- A new place Lay likes (@ Pho Hoang in Riverview, FL) https://t.co/2TKq6qRa3M 17:30:28, 2015-12-04
- Weekly Twitter Digest https://t.co/nB6w1GYBDr 18:32:02, 2015-11-14
- Wed nights. Should be busy. $6 spaghetti, $7 chili with soup or salad. Service also good. (at @spaghettiwh) https://t.co/5a0jFI9xkI 18:10:50, 2015-11-18
- Dinner. (@ Ph? Quyên Vietnamese Restaurant in Tampa, FL) https://t.co/LxsIYuRLUv 18:43:26, 2015-11-20
- Best tacos in town. Hard to find, but worth the effort. (@ Loli's Mexican Cravings in Tampa, FL) https://t.co/tp24enK82w 12:04:05, 2015-11-07
- Weekly Twitter Digest https://t.co/o6x94NJNfK 18:30:37, 2015-11-07
- $5 burger night (@ Eats American Grill – @eatsamergrill in Tampa, FL) https://t.co/jCtIhYiVSw 17:49:38, 2015-11-09
- Christmas Cup Craziness https://t.co/b6UkxhPcaQ https://t.co/tjyObDuCgu 17:33:20, 2015-11-11
- Pretty good Beer Chili, excellent service and a Groupon. (@ The Spaghetti Warehouse – @spaghettiwh in Tampa, FL) https://t.co/34PShiN6Mk 18:51:55, 2015-11-11
- So true, great observation. https://t.co/D5tpAdA5eR 14:59:19, 2015-11-12
- Lay was jonesing for their tacos, which are very good. (@ Loli's Mexican Cravings in Tampa, FL) https://t.co/VeY6QRfOwv 19:08:09, 2015-11-12
- Dinner. (@ Pho Hoang in Riverview, FL) https://t.co/xImJODkEzS 18:01:36, 2015-11-13
By now you’ve likely heard the craziness of some conservatives about Starbuck’s holiday cup design. You’ve probably heard about it because of one idiotic attention whore, who claims to be a pastor, Josh Feurerstein. He apparently managed to finally have a video go viral (trust me, he’s produced some doozies in his efforts to get attention), where he raises a stink about Starbucks, because of their holiday cup design…plain red with their green logo.
There’s a CNN interview available on YouTube:
He thinks he’s cute because he wants to “start a movement.” That movement is to go into Starbucks, and when ordering, tell them your name is “Merry Christmas,” so they have to write it on the cup, and say when they call you. How very clever.
I do want you to listen to the interview, and then I’m going to deconstruct the craziness of this particular guy.
- Just completed a 1.26 mi walk with Runkeeper. Check it out! https://t.co/49htwjOkdF #Runkeeper 09:30:56, 2015-10-31
- Loli's Mexican Cravings on #Yelp: Lay and folks from his work go here for takeout, as they just have like five tabl… https://t.co/OUeLOAwGD2 12:28:25, 2015-10-31
- Weekly Twitter Digest https://t.co/FIKM9AUoYJ 18:31:46, 2015-10-31
- Lay had to go to Pinellas Park, so we stopped here on the way home. (@ Paisano's Pizza 'n Pasta – @paisanoson4th) https://t.co/NU7BIstVYX 18:33:08, 2015-11-02
- Some of the best seafood we've found in Tampa. (@ Blue Sea Seafood Market & Restaurant in Tampa, FL) https://t.co/OflEFuAzIv 18:10:37, 2015-11-05
- Dinner at a standby (@ Ph? Quyên Vietnamese Restaurant in Tampa, FL) https://t.co/Q7NojYXEW4 19:02:26, 2015-11-06