- Just completed a 1.79 mi walk – Warming up nicely http://t.co/1ofWZ6yuAN #RunKeeper 09:16:39, 2015-02-21
- New post: Fury – A Movie Review http://t.co/8KFObgyFmg 11:27:07, 2015-02-21
- Fury – A Movie Review http://t.co/8KFObgyFmg 11:27:13, 2015-02-21
- New post: Weekly Twitter Digest http://t.co/xgIOBLBpi3 18:30:20, 2015-02-21
- Weekly Twitter Digest http://t.co/xgIOBLBpi3 18:30:26, 2015-02-21
- Seeing whiplash (@ AMC Veterans 24 – @amctheatres for Whiplash in Tampa, FL) https://t.co/5zGdh8F3v7 21:18:25, 2015-02-21
- Just completed a 1.41 mi walk – Gorgeous day. Already 67 degrees with a clear blue sky. Shorter walk … http://t.co/GXvhzhRbMz #RunKeeper 10:00:30, 2015-02-22
- RT @NicholsUprising: "If unions aren't needed anymore, why are corporations spending billions to destroy them?
http://t.co/IZdU55TPF0 10:37:25, 2015-02-23
- Just completed a 1.00 mi walk – Started the app late. http://t.co/c26eE2EHAm #RunKeeper 07:18:57, 2015-02-25
- Started w/ chores. Early lunch, then a few more chores. (@ Ph? Quyên Vietnamese Restaurant in Tampa, FL) https://t.co/zoXOMGtPIw 11:01:26, 2015-02-14
- New post: Weekly Twitter Digest http://t.co/jeQNe3z1f3 18:31:14, 2015-02-14
- Weekly Twitter Digest http://t.co/jeQNe3z1f3 18:31:20, 2015-02-14
- Orlando Gay Men's Chorus ensembles and soloist doing a show. (@ First United Church of Christ in Orlando, FL) https://t.co/hoO214dMof 20:27:50, 2015-02-14
- Another dinner at our favorite place in Orlando (@ Boiling Crab & Seafood in Orlando, FL) https://t.co/7gAnuLwN8P http://t.co/2oCpixEZlN 21:38:27, 2015-02-14
- New post: American Sniper-A Movie Review http://t.co/QyNpD5CCrY 17:20:29, 2015-02-16
- American Sniper-A Movie Review http://t.co/QyNpD5CCrY 17:20:35, 2015-02-16
- New post: American Sniper – War and Politics http://t.co/CVl9ileAWf 18:22:34, 2015-02-16
- American Sniper – War and Politics http://t.co/CVl9ileAWf 18:22:40, 2015-02-16
- EATS! American Grill on #Yelp: Food is always great. Burgers are the best in town. Their house burger has bacon grou… http://t.co/GZDfwH1iur 21:51:04, 2015-02-16
- New post: Craziness Roundup for the Week of Feb. 20, 2015 http://t.co/qVM4uJhGgg 17:57:45, 2015-02-20
- Craziness Roundup for the Week of Feb. 20, 2015 http://t.co/qVM4uJhGgg 17:57:51, 2015-02-20
- Early dinner (@ Ph? Quyên Vietnamese Restaurant in Tampa, FL) https://t.co/GrPY1SF4Pp 18:03:43, 2015-02-20
April, 1945. As the Allies make their final push in the European Theatre, a battle-hardened army sergeant named Wardaddy commands a Sherman tank and his five-man crew on a deadly mission behind enemy lines. Out-numbered, out-gunned, and with a rookie soldier thrust into their platoon, Wardaddy and his men face overwhelming odds in their heroic attempts to strike at the heart of Nazi Germany.
Director: David Ayer
Writer: David Ayer
Stars: Brad Pitt, Shia LaBeouf, Logan Lerman, Michael Peña
Runtime: 134 min; Rated: R; Genre: Action, Drama, War; Released: 17 Oct 2014
I watched this on my day off for President’s Day at home.
Oh man, as usual the crazy just burns. How, in the name of all that is holy, do some of these people get elected.
Let’s start with Republican State Representative James Van Huss of Tennessee who wants to make one small change to the constitution of the state of Tennessee. Van Huss’ change would rewrite Article I to say, “We recognize that our liberties do not come from governments, but from Almighty God, our Creator and Savior.” Perhaps it won’t be a huge surprise that Rep. VanHuss, who also goes by the name Micah, and just for the record, is a Republican. (Maybe he should read the book of Micah sometime, especially the part in 6:8 about walking “humbly with your God.”
The recent movie, American Sniper, based on the autobiography of Chris Kyle, has sparked heated discussion. I’ve previously reviewed the movie, but in this post, I’d like to take on some of the politics, praise, and condemnation that’s been the result of the movie.
First, I’d like to take on Michael Moore’s comment about Chris Kyle and snipers being cowards. I’m a fan of Moore’s, but this was just stupid. Being a sniper is dangerous, grueling, and likely soul-sapping. Just like everyone in the military, they are trained for, and doing the job they were assigned, in effect, by our civilian leadership. Chris Kyle was, apparently, extremely good at his job, and that does not make him a coward. Did he take some pleasure in the killing or Iraqi’s? I don’t know, as I didn’t live in his head, but his book did seem to offer the perspective that he felt he was doing “God’s work.” Of that I’m not so sure.
In this country, we’ve come to glorify war. We can’t have a sporting event without a military honor guard and maybe a flyover. We watch precision bombing footage on the evening news, and hear about drone strikes taking out terrorist operatives. So we come to think we’re always right, the other side is wrong, and everything we do is blessed. Taint so. War truly is hell. The towns and cities in which is fought are destroyed, economies are wrecked, and innocent people, including children, suffer and die. We need to know and understand that, and we need to know that we wreck much of the havoc when we start wars.
Chris Kyle was nothing more than a Texan man who wanted to become a cowboy, but in his thirties he found out that maybe his life needed something different, something where he could express his real talent, something that could help America in its fight against terrorism. So he joined the SEALs in order to become a sniper. After marrying, Kyle and the other members of the team are called for their first tour of Iraq. Kyle’s struggle isn’t with his missions, but about his relationship with the reality of the war and, once returned at home, how he manages to handle it with his urban life, his wife and kids.
Director: Clint Eastwood
Writer: Jason Hall, Chris Kyle (book), Scott McEwen (book), James Defelice (book)
Stars: Bradley Cooper, Kyle Gallner, Cole Konis, Ben Reed
Runtime: 132 min; Rated: R; Genre: Action, Biography, Drama; Released: 16 Jan 2015
We watched this one in the theater a couple of weekends ago. I’m sorry to just now be getting around to writing my review. Me and Lay both thought this movie was OK. I suspect he liked it a bit more. I had some trouble separating the politics, the biography, and the movie.
- New post: Weekly Twitter Digest http://t.co/3mXeKIoRNr 18:30:21, 2015-01-31
- Weekly Twitter Digest http://t.co/3mXeKIoRNr 18:30:32, 2015-01-31
- Waiting on a flight to D.C. volunteered for a later flight. (@ Tampa International Airport (TPA) – @flytpa) https://t.co/8LhM97TMgB 13:04:06, 2015-02-03
- Headed back to Resting. (@ US Department Of State SA-1 in Washington, DC) https://t.co/m2jf3gm0X0 17:25:13, 2015-02-04
- 25 degrees with high winds. Ready to get home to Tampa, but flight delayed. (at @dulles_airport in Dulles, VA) https://t.co/CGsluo7fqY 12:02:55, 2015-02-05