- At the Subaru Mega Meetup. Very windy making it pretty cool. (@ Raymond James Stadium) https://t.co/uAb36nlkWd https://t.co/u3yDDzetEt 13:33:11, 2016-01-23
- Weekly Twitter Digest https://t.co/2IGSIKhaIx 18:30:36, 2016-01-23
- Had dinner. Been a while. (@ La Teresita in Tampa, FL) https://t.co/sEoIAZ48XR 21:23:33, 2016-01-28
- Lunch at Lay's 2nd favorite place. (@ Loli's Mexican Cravings in Tampa, FL) https://t.co/5ixJiRXd3D 11:35:48, 2016-01-16
- Why the Christian Church May Never Crawl Out of Its Hole https://t.co/9jm2a4vJql https://t.co/5IKsY5fUEi 21:01:35, 2016-01-18
- Here for the Wednesday soecials (@ The Spaghetti Warehouse – @spaghettiwh in Tampa, FL) https://t.co/fVR9ZW6DAs 17:56:48, 2016-01-20
- The Snowbillies Reprise https://t.co/ZkTr9K9mMe https://t.co/eQeIjW3bcZ 13:53:20, 2016-01-21
I was going to write about Ted Cruz, but lo’ and behold, the Palin family reappeared. Sarah Palin popped up and tossed up one of the biggest bowls of word salad ever in support of Donald Trump. This coming on the heels of her daughter being sued for child support and shared custody or a second out-of-wedlock child, and her son’s arrest on a range of charges related to firearms and domestic abuse. And, no surprise here, she blames almost all of that on Obama.
So let’s talk about this endorsement. Look closely at the picture below, and from the expression on Trump’s face, you have to think he’s going, “what the fuck have I done.” I’m sure the craziness of her speech was a bit over the top even for the Donald, not to mention, I suspect he felt like she was trying to upstage him. It’s hard to fit two egos the size of theirs into one building.
In the western world, churches, in particular Christian churches, are showing a general decline in attendance and membership. There’s much hand wringing within those denominations most affected; reports are being prepared, and great plans are being made to try to stem the tide, but I am not yet convinced the people in these organizations have the self-awareness to overcome the trend.
The Facebook response to a recent article I posted in a conservative United Methodist discussion group really brought this home for me, and helped me congeal my thoughts on this subject.
Stats aren’t all that fun, but I think it is necessary to give some background on what is happening that’s causing this concern. The overall number of people who are religiously affiliated has, according to Pew Research, not changed all that much between 2007 and 2015. ((“U.S. Public Becoming Less Religious,” Pew Research Center, Nov. 3, 2015)) However, according to their most recent “Religious Landscape Study, “A growing share of Americans are religiously unaffiliated, including some who self-identify as atheists or agnostics as well as many who describe their religion as “nothing in particular.” Altogether, the religiously unaffiliated (also called the “nones”) now account for 23% of the adult population, up from 16% in 2007.” ((Ibid))
That’s right, I said it. I’m firing God. He’s not doing a good job, and he’s not serving his creation very well. George Carlin said it very well:
I want you to know, when it comes to believing in god- I really tried. I really really tried. I tried to believe that there is a god who created each one of us in his own image and likeness, loves us very much and keeps a close eye on things. I really tried to believe that, but I gotta tell you, the longer you live, the more you look around, the more you realize…something is FUCKED-UP. Something is WRONG here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is NOT good work. If this is the best god can do, I am NOT impressed. Results like these do not belong on the resume of a supreme being. This is the kind of shit you’d expect from an office temp with a bad attitude. And just between you and me, in any decently run universe, this guy would have been out on his all-powerful-ass a long time ago.
Of course, a lot of you all will accuse me of blasphemy and apostasy, but before you do, hear me out. I’m not firing THE God, I’m firing the guy that far too many people claim to “worship.” This is the God that Carlin is speaking of. A god we’ve managed to make in our own image (generally speaking, a white male), who conveniently hates all the same people you do.
I’m tired of people using their religious beliefs and their god to justify their bigotry and hate. And yes, there are many “Christians” in America who are bad as some of the Muslim extremists. I’ve been recently following a number of conservative Methodist Facebook groups, and the number of discussions on homosexuality is astonishing. I have seen commenters there compare homosexuality with pedophilia and bestiality, of course. Then when the commenters are called out, they and their defenders claim they weren’t comparing, just citing an example. (Sure they were.)
- Breakfast with Mom. (at @DennysDiner in Shelby, NC) https://t.co/a24G2nlYNK 09:44:44, 2015-12-26
- Dinner with Mom, Lay, Hilda, and Bobbie and Don. Salt and Pepper catfish. (@ Love's Fish Box in Kings Mountain, NC) https://t.co/w0Tb1ntqrH 18:25:11, 2015-12-26
- Weekly Twitter Digest https://t.co/FqemGEJJR0 18:31:18, 2015-12-26
- Stopped on the way to NC, now stopping on the way home. Hard drive today. (@ LA. Boiling Seafood Crabs & Crawfish) https://t.co/yVWnOidQ3r 18:59:35, 2015-12-27
- Wow, some Wed's we come and nearly no one here. Packed tonight. (@ The Spaghetti Warehouse – @spaghettiwh) https://t.co/jeuoYuoNnH 19:22:45, 2015-12-30
- Lunch (@ Ph? Quyên Vietnamese Restaurant in Tampa, FL) https://t.co/c6mNWrVE8Q 11:49:38, 2015-12-31
- Had my greens, black eyed peas, and pork. (at @GoldenCorral in Tampa, FL) https://t.co/KVZv6kN6e8 13:07:15, 2016-01-01