Well, his imminence, James Dobson has pinned it down. He now knows how to recognize if your child is “becoming” gay, and he can figure it out in pre-adolescence. And on top of that, he advises that fathers and sons shower together to “cure” boys from those tendencies. (I’ll swear, is that not a porn movie script.) I am not making this up. Its on his website.
Here’s how Dobson suggests diagnosing queerness:
There are certain signs of prehomosexuality which are easy to recognize, and the signs come early in the child’s life. Most come under the heading of “cross-gender behavior.” There are five markers to [diagnose] a child with “gender-identity disorder.” They are:
- Repeatedly stated desire to be, or insistence that he or she is, the other sex.
- In boys, preference for cross-dressing, or simulating female attire. In girls, insistence on wearing only stereotypical masculine clothing.
- Strong and persistent preference for cross-sexual roles in make-believe play, or persistent fantasies of being the other sex.
- Intense desire to participate in stereotypical games and pastimes of the other sex.
- Strong preference for playmates of the other sex.
The onset of most cross-gender behavior occurs during the pre-school years, between the ages of two and four.
As if that weren’t silly enough, here’s his perscription to avoid having your son turn queer on you:
Meanwhile, the boy’s father has to do his part. He needs to mirror and affirm his son’s maleness. He can play rough-and-tumble games with his son, in ways that are decidedly different from the games he would play with a little girl. He can help his son learn to throw and catch a ball. He can teach him to pound a square wooden peg into a square hole in a pegboard. He can even take his son with him into the shower, where the boy cannot help but notice that Dad has a penis, just like his, only bigger.
Now this would be funny but for one thing, just a few months ago, a Tampa man was found guilty of beating his 3 year old son to death. The man claimed he was just boxing with his son because he thought he might be turning queer. And this is Christian teaching?